Monday, February 17, 2014

Blogspot #4: Choosing A Character

People think that Cosplaying is easy. They think picking a character is that easy. Well, you're wrong. Choosing a character is one of the hardest aspects of Cosplaying. You don't choose a character just because the costume is easy to do, or because the character looks cute.

I read this article entitled, Cosplay 101: Choosing a Character, from the site wordpress.com, written by spazzerbot. I wasn't that attracted when I saw it at first sight, but as I read through the blog, it captured my interest and continued to read until the end.
The article talks about some tips and steps on how to choose a character to Cosplay. I just don't agree at one part where you need to limit yourself just because you're small and the character you want to Cosplay is like 6 feet or something. If you really, as in really love the character, nothing will stop you to Cosplay him or her.

According to the article, Cosplaying is not limited to only girls Cosplaying as girls and the same with guys. No. Girls can also do guys and guys can also do girl characters. The right make-up and stuff could do the trick. Believe me, I've been there. I was called kuya or sir one time when I cosplayed a guy character. Even some guys can deceive you. Some guy Cosplayers I know who have Cosplayed a girl character, totally looks like a girl. Its probably because of his portrayal of the character, that's why he was mistaken as a real girl. Also, picking a character isn't limited to anime, and manga. You can also choose from games, books and even Disney characters are welcome too! But, choose a character you really love! And, think of your budget too. You probably really love the character, but, does the things needed for the character fit your budget? Think again. Listing some of the characters you love will help make it easier for you.
(c)http://travelmanagement.yale.edu/

According to spazzerbot, "That's what's so great about Cosplay, anyone can be anyone!"

I totally agree. That's what Cosplay is all about anyway! To be the character you want to be even for a day!

In the other article I read entitled, Jaroukasama's Tips on Choosing A Character to Cosplay, from the site culturejpn.com, written by Kitty Paws. I was really excited to read this blog to be honest. Since Jaroukasama/Yuu is one of my idols and I really love her blogs where she gives tips to other Cosplayers.

The articles talks about the interview of Kitty Paws with Jaroukasama/Yuu. She asks Yuu some questions and I was surprised that, Yuu actually encountered the same problems as I do. Like choosing a character and putting them in her long, long, long list of plans. And the bad thing is, she doesn't get tend to follow her plans. Just like I do.

According to the article, Yuu states that she Cosplays someone she loves and decides to Cosplay more complicated characters and some characters that have attitudes that are far from hers. She decides to step out of her comfort zone and take the challenge. Yuu also mentioned that she Cosplays 15 characters a year and if her budget permits, she does 20 and more. Kitty Paws asked her the question, "Do you ever repeat your Cosplays? Why/why not?" Yuu answers that when she's already satisfied with a certain character, she moves on with the next one. And, on average, she wears her costumes 3 times in a convention, and to check if she needs fixing or improvement on a certain character. I actually feel the same way as Yuu. When I feel that, I haven't put justice in Cosplaying a certain a character, I would re-watch the series and observe the character more. And if the costumes lack something, I put more details to it or even repair it.

(c)http://trueshiningself.com/
According to Jaroukasama/Yuu, "People who have passion and enjoy what they do are people who succeed."

People just don't do something for the heck of it. They work hard for it and they don't forget to enjoy it at the same time. If you love and enjoy what you're doing, the results of your hard work are always at its best.

No comments:

Post a Comment