Monday, February 3, 2014

Blogpost #1: Cosplay: Why do people do it.


People Cosplay not for fame, money, or because its the 'in' and many people do it. Most Cosplayers, as I know, Cosplay for fun and to express how much they love this passion. For us, Cosplaying is an Art, and a way to express and show our inner creativity.

(c)http://www.lasvegascomicexpo.com/
I read this certain article entitled, "What IS Cosplay and Why Do People Do It", from the site ifanboy.com, written by Molly McIsaac. I was curious and read it. I wonder what are the other reasons on why other people Cosplay too. I was surprised that my answers from their answers are not that different.

The article talks about how people got into Cosplay and why they're continuing to do it. And it states that Cosplaying is not just about costuming, it is a very unique form of performance art. True that. Some people only look at how good the costume is done or made. What they don't know is that there is more than just having a complex costume. They don't know the art and the reason why people Cosplay.

According to the article, People Cosplay for different reasons, be it for the love of the character, being the center of attention, or seeing our friends or fellow Cosplayers work their time out in making their costumes. The author asked some Cosplayers, "Why do YOU Cosplay?", and someone stated that, Cosplay is about two things, to express the things you love and the community itself. I know the feeling of being with fellow Cosplayers and fans. You feel relieved that you're not the only one who loves this certain series you currently love. Let's face it, everyone had felt containing such "feels" towards something. You want to release and express this to someone. Some said that Cosplaying has helped them gain more self-confidence due to experience and exposure to the said passion. A lot even gained friends because of this hobby. I, myself could relate to that matter. I'm usually quiet and prefer to be alone in doing everything. But, Cosplay changed my life. It helped me gain much more self-confidence and met people who I can call "true friends." To sum it up, most people Cosplay because they want to be the character they love or they look up to even for a day. Adding to that, usually, the Cosplayers I know, and as the stories stated above, some Cosplayers had a sad and lonely life when they were young. And as they grew up, Cosplay helped them to fight problems, gain something that they didn't have.


(c)http://yourmoneyjourney.com/
According to Mac Beauvais, he stated in the article, "What IS Cosplay and Why Do People Do It", that "There are lots of great reasons to cosplay, and while I have several I can point to, the real driving force for me has been self-confidence." 

Mac stated that he had a low self-esteem during his younger days and just like the others, because of Cosplay, he gained more confidence because of the experience and exposure he got through this passion. I, myself can relate a lot with him. There are lots and lots and of reasons why people cosplay and should cosplay. As for me, people shouldn't judge Cosplay and Cosplayers when they haven't even tried it. I do challenge them to try it, so you'll know the reason why WE Cosplay.

In the other article I read entitled, "Hyper Mode: Why We Cosplay", written by Maddy Myers. She stated that, in the forms of role-playing, that "school play" was a much more socially acceptable to talk about. When you think about it, Cosplay is similar to a school play. Which makes us think, why do people find Cosplaying weird?

The article talks about what she experience through the years of cosplaying and what she has done. How her friends emphasize the word "play" more than the "costume" part. It stated in the article that she had to prepare and finish her costume in a hotel room with nine different cosplayers she hasn't even met in her life. 
(c)Maddy Myers
According to the article, Cosplay is not a complete paradise. It has its positive and negatives notations too. Some Cosplayers have issues when it comes to their body form or shape. And they tend to get insecure because people might criticize them. That's the truth. Criticizing is normal in the Cosplay world. Instead of seeing it as a negative thing, no matter how much it did hurt you, think of it as an advice. So you'll know what you need to be better with. Be it with make-up, portrayal or the how the costume was made. You might not know, because of these criticisms, you'll be a better Cosplayer. And yes, this world is not perfect. Us, ourselves are not perfect. But, in a different situation, like in a convention, when you hear people saying bad stuff about you or about your costume, "Why bother?" as said by Maddy. She also stated that what the non-cosplayers don't know is that, cosplayers don't cosplay for anyone. They do it for themselves. They have their own personal reasons on why they cosplay.

According to Maddy Myers, "I cosplay for fun and for myself."

I agree with her statement. I Cosplay because I want people to know that I love this certain character. I want to meet more people who loves the same fandoms as I do. and because, I want to learn more, experience more from this passion I have.

(c)http://doitchoco.files.wordpress.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment