Monday, February 3, 2014

Blogpost #2: Skills we learn, Skills we use


Cosplaying doesn't end in wearing a costume and portraying a character. Some people just and think that Cosplay is just for show and us Cosplayers got nothing to do better with our lives. Wrong. Cosplayers like us learn some skills from this passion that we can use in our daily lives. We usually don't earn anything, material wise. But, there are more things that we learn from Cosplaying. Things that we use to mold ourselves as a better cosplayer and a human being.

While looking around the internet, I found this article entitled, "10 Life Skills We Learn Through Cosplay", from the site nerdymindsmagazine.com, written by, Undies Of Wondy. The title itself caught my attention and so I read her article. Just by reading the intro and the first few skills she mentioned, I can only say, I can totally relate.

The article talks about 10 skills that we can learn from Cosplaying. Patience, Budgeting, Time Management, Self-Confidence, Networking, Courtesy, Preparedness, Attentiveness (to details), Practicality and Friendship are the skills that are enumerated. I can probably tell an experience or a part of my life associated with skills. That is how I can totally related with what she said.

According to the article, the skills we learn in Cosplaying can be associated and used in our real and daily lives. As stated in Time Management, she relates it to applying for business and making costumes. Cosplayers also gain more self-confidence as years pass by because of experience. Being friendly and courteous are needed since we get to interact with different people. Most conventions are mostly packed with huge crowds. Expecting that things may go wrong, being prepared with a repair kit is advised. Also, most Cosplayers are perfectionists and patient in making props. Lastly, we learn Friendship. I could say, this is the best thing I learned and gained from Cosplaying. As experienced, most of my long lasting friendships began from this wonderful hobby.

(c)http://mydirectsellingblog.files.wordpress.com
According to Undies of Wondy, "Cosplay is frequently viewed as a purely recreational hobby. True, ultimately we're just a bunch of derp-faces in capes and tights, but cosplaying can provide you with skills you may, in fact, use in everyday life."

I totally agree with her. Some people say that Cosplay will give us nothing good in return and will just ruin our lives. What they don't know is that, we learn a lot from Cosplaying. Skills, virtues, and values that we can use in our lives and help us continue reach our goals.

I got to read this article entitled, "Learning From First Year Of Cosplay", from the site heedmag.com, written by Marjie Southerland. Again, another article that caught my eye and so, I had to read it. I have to say, I was moved from what she wrote. It reminded me of my first few months in the Cosplay world last 2009. Again, I could totally relate with what she shared. Probably, most Cosplayers under go this kind of situation and feeling when they just started.

The article talks about what happened in Marjie's first year of experience in the Cosplay Community. How overwhelmed she was when she first stepped in her very first convention, her realization that these people are also humans, and the ups and downs of the Cosplay World.

According to the article, Marjie learned more about Cosplay and its members. And how she forgets that these Cosplayers are also human beings who has lives, loves and problems just like her. But like life, Cosplaying is not all peaches, roses and sunshine, as Marjie stated in the article. People say bad and negative things about another person. And spreads this throughout the community. Amidst all the negative things, Marjie still learned to find time to do the things she loves to do. Even when things go wrong while making her costume, and had to start over. She didn't give up and still felt accomplished and productive. And Cosplay has given her a positive outlet in whatever she does.

According to Marjie Southerland, "When I look in the mirror or look at the photos that have been taken and think about all the hard work and the time that went into putting my costume together, it doesn't equate to a dollar amount. I love cosplay and I love how it make me feel."


I totally agree with Marjie. Whatever effort and hard work you put to something, and if you enjoy and love what you're doing, not a single diamond or any amount of money could ever compare to the happiness you're feeling every time you do something you love.


(c)http://santhoshkumarbs.files.wordpress.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment